News




The Addition of the journal ha-ʿAm to the website
Posted on: 12 May 2013


A new title is joining the Historical Jewish press website: ha-ʿAm. Ha-ʿAm (Heb. ‘The Nation’) was a literary and current affairs weekly that appeared in Moscow between the years 1916 and 1918.
Ha-'Aam (the People) is the only Hebrew journal published in Russia during the October 1917 Revolution.

This is 37th newspaper to be added to the website. The current electronic edition contains 1178 pages.


            

14,556 pages of 4 existing newspapers have been added to the website
Posted on: 17 January 2013


An additional 14,556 pages of content from 3 currently available newspapers has been added to the JPRESS website. The additional material is as follows:
The Occident, an additional 3,889 pages
Herut, an additional 7,948 pages from the years 157-1964
Haynt, an additional 2,729 pages from the years 1909-1910


Total Pages on site: 885,283

The Addition of the journal ha-Tzofeh to the website
Posted on: 14 January 2013


A new title is joining the website Historical Jewish Press: ha-Tzofeh. This was a daily newspaper of the national religious parties, ha-MiZRaCḤI and ha-Poʿel ha-MiZRaCḤI. It was published initially in Jerusalem and afterwards in Tel-Aviv for seventy-one years from 1937 until 2008.

This is 35th newspaper to be added to the website. At this time, the electronic edition contains 21,210 pages.


             The title page of ha-Tzofeh as it appeared in 1957.

The Addition of the journal ha-Micpe to the website
Posted on: 11 January 2013


A new title is added to our website: ha-Micpe. Ha-Micpe was a religious Zionist weekly that appeared in Kraków (Poland) between 1904 and 1915 and again between 1917 and 1921.

Ha-Micpe constitutes a sort of continuation of ha-Magid and was aimed at the Hebrew reading public of the Russian Empire.

This is the 34th newspaper to be added to the website. The present electronic edition contains 4767 pages.


             The title page of ha-Micpe from 1921.

The Addition of the journal Ha-Mizrachi to the website
Posted on: 04 January 2013


A new title has been added to the website: Ha-Mizrachi, which was the organ of the Mizrachi movement in Poland and appeared in Warsaw between the years 1918 and 1924.

This is the 33 newspaper to be added to the website, and the electronic edition comprises all of the years in which the newspaper appeared—altogether 2588 pages.


             The title page of the newspaper, 1924

The Addition of the journal Maguid micharim/Le Tétouanais to the website
Posted on: 30 December 2012


A new title as been added to our website: Maguid micharim/Le Tétouanais, a Judæo-Arabic newspaper that was published in Oran (Algeria) between 1895 and 1896. This is a rare collection that sheds new light on the internal community life of the Jews of Algeria during the colonial period.

This is the thirty-second title to be added to the website and its electronic edition contains 151 pages.


             The title page of the newspaper Maguid micharim from 1895.

24,743 pages of 4 existing newspapers have been added to the website
Posted on: 03 December 2012


An additional 24,743 pages of content from 4 currently available newspapers has been added to the JPRESS website. The additional material is as follows:
Ma'ariv, an additional 9,038 pages from the year 1980.
Al Hamishmar, an additional 1,523 pages from the year 1947.
Haynt, an additional 5,368 pages from the years 1911 - 1913.
Davar, an additional 8,814 pages from the years 1980-1981.


Total Pages on site: 814,046

61,533 pages of 5 existing newspapers have been added to the website
Posted on: 04 Septembre 2012


An additional 61,533 pages of content from 5 currently available newspapers has been added to the JPRESS website. The additional material is as follows:
Ma'ariv, an additional 20,485 pages from the years 1972 - 1987.
Herut, an additional 3,647 pages from the years 1954 - 1957.
Qol Mahziqey Ha-Dat, an additional 339 pages from the years 1903 - 1914. Davar, an additional 33,377 pages from the years 1974 - 1979.
The Occident and American Jewish Advocate, an additional 3,385 pages from the years 1851-1865.


Total Pages on site: 789,303

The timeline diagram on the website was also updated.

Ha-Modia Added to the Historical Jewish Press Website:
Posted on: 14 Augus2012


A new title has been added to our website: Ha-Modia, an ultra-orthodox newspaper which was published in Poltava (Tsarist Russia) between the years 1901-1905.

This is the thirty-one publication to be added to the website and its electronic edition contains 1957 pages.


             The front page as it appeared in 1912.

The Addition of the journal Moria to the website
Posted on: 14 August 2012


A new title is being added to the Historical Jewish Press website: Moria. This newspaper appeared in Jerusalem between 1910 and 1915, published by the printer Rabbi Yehudah Aharon Weiss (1876–1964), and represented one of a dozen daily periodicals that appeared in Jerusalem at that time. The newspaper’s aim was to promote the Old Yishuv and its ideology.

This is the thirtieth newspaper to join the website, and its electronic edition comprises 2602 pages


             A typical advertisement page from the early years of the newspaper’s appearance.

The Addition of the journal Ḥerut to the website
Posted on: 25 May 2012


The serial "Herut" has been added to the Historical Jewish Press website. Herut was a daily publication that served as a major platform of the main opposition party, from which it took its name, Herut. The newspaper was published in Tel-Aviv between the years 1948 and 1965. Currently the website contains the issues from 1949 to 1954.
This is the twenty-eighth newspaper to be added to the website, and its electronic edition comprises at this point, 11,249 pages.


             The front page of the newspaper Ḥerut from 1951.



39,986 additional pages of newspaper content have been added to the website
Posted on: 25 May 2012


An additional 39,986 pages of content from four currently available newspapers have been added to the JPRESS website. The additional material is as follows:
Ma'ariv, 1972 - 1983.
Haynt, 1914 - 1915.
Al Hamishmar, 1953 - 1955.
Davar, 1974.


Due to missing and often damaged source material, there are gaps in the material available on the site.
This material will be added as it is sourced and digitized in accordance with the quality standards set for the JPRESS project.



87,752 pages of six existing newspapers have been added to the website
Posted on: 01 April 2012


An additional 87,752 pages of content from six currently available newspapers has been added to the JPRESS website. The additional material is as follows:
Ma'ariv, an additional 30,782 pages from the years 1973 and 1987.
Haynt, an additional 10,790 pages from the years 1915 - 1922.
Al Hamishmar, an additional 1,402 pages from the year 1952.
Davar, an additional 25,120 pages from the years 1970 - 1973.
The Occident and American Jewish Advocate, an additional 962 pages from the years 1866-1867.
Egyenloseg, an additional 18,696 pages from the years 1892 - 1905.

Due to missing and often damaged source material, there are gaps in the material available on the site.
This material will be added as it is sourced and digitized in accordance with the quality standards set for the JPRESS project.



The Addition of the journal Al HaMishmar to the website
Posted on: 3 March 2012


A new publication has been added to the website: Al ha-mishmar. Appearing during the years 1943- 1995, it served as the mouthpiece of Mapam, the radical left Zionist party and its Kibuzim movement. Among the writers for the newspaper were prominent intellectuals and literary figures, such as the poets Leah Goldberg (1911–1970) and Avraham Shlonsky (1900–1973).
This is the twenty-eighth serial publication to be added to the website. At this stage, the electronic edition of Al ha-mishmar will cover its ten first twelve years of publication only (1943-1955), containing 10,705 pages.
             The masthead of the newspaper from 1948.

The Historical Jewish Press website announces the addition of a new title to the website: The Yiddish newspaper Haynt, the first Yiddish paper to be added to the website.
Posted on: 26 February 2012


The Haynt was founded in 1908 in Warsaw and quickly became the most widespread Yiddish newspaper in Eastern Europe.

Haynt included a broad range of content making it the richest source of information of day-to-day life for Polish Jews in the inter-war period.

This is the twenty-seventh title to be added to the website and it contains 35,665 digitized pages as of this writing

Courtesy of The David and Fela Shapell Family Foundation
             Haynt in its last year, 1939

The Addition of 39,469 pages of Ma'ariv newspaper to the website
Posted on: 9 February 2012


An additional 39,469 pages of the Israeli Ma'ariv daily newspaper have been added to the JPRESS website from the years 1979 and 1984-1987.

Due to missing and often damaged source material, there are gaps in the material available on the site.
This material will be added as it is sourced and digitized in accordance with the quality standards set for the JPRESS project.

The Addition of the journal The Occident to the websitee
Posted on: 7 November 2011


A new title is joining the website Historical Jewish Press: The Occident, the first Jewish periodical aimed at the general Jewish public of the United States (1843-1869).

The newspaper includes a broad range of contents: local and foreign news relating to Judaism, various resolutions issued by Jewish communities and organisations, theological studies and homilies, poetry, youth literature, literary criticism, letters, and more.

This is the twenty-sixth title to be added to the website. The current electronic collection of the newspaper on the website is partial and does not yet contain the complete publication. Available is the main section from 1843 through 1851 and the advertisements section from 1855 through March 1867, totaling 6,262 pages. The missing sections of the publication are currently undergoing digitization and will be added to the website as they become available
             The cover page of a newspaper issue published in 1867

The Addition of the journal Doar Hayom to the website
Posted on: 28 August 2011

A new title is joining the website Historical Jewish Press: Doar Hayom. The newspaper was published in Jerusalem between the years 1919 and 1936. It was a daily that appeared under the editorship of Itamar Ben Avi, the son of Eliʿezer Ben-Yehudah. The editor instilled a spirit of pluralism into the newspaper, which was, nonetheless, considered ‘right-wing’ and ‘sensationalist’.

This is the twenty-fifth newspaper to join the website, and its electronic edition contains 20,218 pages.
             Headline of the newspaper from 1934

The Addition of the journal Mahziqey Ha-Dat / Qol Mahziqey Ha-Dat to the website/b>
Posted on: 8 August 2011

A new title is joining the website Historical Jewish Press: Maḥziqey Ha-Dat/Qol maḥziqey Ha-Dat. The newspaper was published in Lwów during the years 1879 to 1885 and dealt primarily with religious matters and the world of the ḥaredi community of Galicia. Over the course of its publication, various news items about the rest of the world were added to the paper.

The paper appeared under two names, Maḥziqey Ha-Dat and, between 1886 and 1896, as an additional, separate bi-weekly under the name Qol Maḥziqey Ha-Dat.

This is the twenty-fourth title to be added to the website and it includes 11,181 electronic pages.         



Ivri Anochi Added to Website
Posted on: 30 June 2011

A new title is joining the website Historical Jewish Press: ʿIvri Anochi. The newspaper was published between the years 1865 and 1890 and was one of the most important Haskalah papers, which did not undergo a nationalist transformation during the Ḥibbat Tsiyyon period.

The articles of the newspaper were printed in Hebrew in square characters, articles on religious topics in RaSHI script, but most of the advertisements were in Yiddish.

This is the twenty-third title to be added to the website. The electronic edition contains 9,331 pages.
Title page of Ivri Anochi

New Timeline Diagram on Website
Posted on: 15 June 2011

The timeline diagram provided on the Search by Historical Period page has been updated. The diagram outlines the years in which the newspapers available on the website were published, and serves as a means of quickly identifying which newspapers are relevant to the time period of interest to the user.


             click to enlarge



Hed Ha-Mizrach Added to Website
Posted on: 15 June 2011

A new title is being added to the Historical Jewish Press website: Hed Ha-Mizrach. The paper was published in Jerusalem during the years 1942-1944 and again in 1949-1951. This is the twenty-first publication to be added to the website, and this digital edition contains 2,669 pages.

Hed Ha-Mizrach stood out among the ethnic, community-based journals published during the Mandate period and the first years after the establishment of the State of Israel. The driving force behind the paper was Eliyahu Elyashar (1899-1991), the most prominent Sephardi politician of the period, who adopted a policy of opposition to the Ashkenazi establishment—not only on the question of the attitude towards Mizrahi and Sephardi Jews, but also in other matters like the Arab-Zionist conflict. The paper’s renewed, digital circulation on the internet is therefore of particular significance.

The paper’s period of publication was relatively brief, only about six years, the result of financial difficulties. Nevertheless, it is outstanding in its print quality, its modern vision, and the vast number of photographs and illustrations included.
Title page of Hed Ha-Mizrach as published in its second period


Ha-Po'eel Ha-Tsa'air Added to Website
Posted on: 15 June 2011

A new title is being added to the Historical Jewish Press website: Ha-Po'eel Ha-Tsa'air. The paper served as the main journal for the Zionist Labor Movement in Palestine, from its inception in 1907 up until the first appearance of the daily Davar in 1925; even after it was overtaken by Davar, it continued to be published until 1970. The website’s collection includes only the years 1907-1925.

Works by many of the outstanding Hebrew authors of the Yishuv were published in Ha-Po'eel Ha-Tsa'air, among them Dvora Baron, Yosef Haim Brenner, Shai Agnon, and others.

Ha-Po'eel Ha-Tsa'air is the twenty-second publication to be added to the website, and this digital edition contains 7,332 pages.
Title page of Ha-Po'eel Ha-Tsa'air


Maariv Added to the Website
Posted on: 9 Dec 2010

Maariv, one of the most important daily newspapers of the past or present in Israel, has been added to the website. This is the second newspaper to be added to the “Historical Jewish Press” database which is still actively published (the first is The Palestine Post, which changed its name to The Jerusalem Post in 1950).

At this stage, the first two decades of the paper (1948-1968) have been uploaded to the website. Issues for several missing months are even now being added. Currently, 74,558 pages of Maariv are available on the website, making it the second largest collection (in terms of available pages) after Davar.

This is the nineteenth publication to be added to the website and the tenth Hebrew-language newspaper in the collection.
Maariv during its initial period,
when it was still called Yediot Maariv





Habazeleth Added to the Historical Jewish Press Website
Posted on: 7 Dec 2010

A new title has been added to the Historical Jewish Press website: Habazeleth. This paper was published in Jerusalem in 1863 and also during the period 1870-1911. It was the first Hebrew-language periodical in Eretz Yisrael to be published regularly for such an extended period of time.

This is the eighteenth publication to be added to the website, and this electronic edition contains 14,237 pages. Considering the lengthy period during which the paper was published (nearly 42 years), the number of pages is quite low, but it must be remembered that the paper was published weekly and that each issue contained no more than eight pages.

A prolonged publication period, such as that of Habazeleth, provides an opportunity to follow the development of the paper’s format over time. In the case of Habazeleth, such changes are particularly notable in the advertisements, both in their appearance and in the quantity included.

          
An advertisement characteristic of Habazeleth’s early period, as opposed to an advertisement characteristic of the paper’s later years.





Hashkafa Newspaper Added to the Website
Posted on: 6 Dec 2010


A second newspaper of Eliezer Ben-Yehuda's has been added to the Historical Jewish Press website: Hashkafa. This publication belongs to the Haskalah press movement and the years in which it appeared (1896-1908) overlap those of several other Hebrew-language newspapers already available on the website: Ha-Melitz, Ha-Zefira, Ha-Zman, and Ha-Magid.

A special connection existed between Hashkafa and Ha-Zvi (Eliezer Ben-Yehuda’s other newspaper), and there are those who see the two papers as a single entity. In terms of format, the two publications were readily distinguishable since Ha-Zvi was more modern, both in its appearance (multiple columns, use of special fonts and embellishments) and in the presence and quantity of advertisements included.

Although Hashkafa was characterized by a very modest appearance, its content was of great significance, especially during the second period of its publication (1902-1908), in which it was the only paper published by Ben-Yehuda.

This is the seventeenth publication to be added to the website, and the eighth Hebrew-language newspaper in the collection. The electronic edition of Hashkafa contains 4,919 pages.
A typical Hashkafa issue with a two-column format which characterized
Hashkafa’s appearance throughout most of its publication years





New Timeline Diagram on Website
Posted on: 28 Nov 2010

The timeline diagram provided on the Search by Historical Period page has been upgraded. The diagram outlines the years in which the newspapers available on the website were published, and serves as a means of quickly identifying which newspapers are relevant to the time period of interest to the user.

The new format became necessary in light of the considerable addition of new publications made to the website in the past two years (the number of newspapers available on the website doubled in that time), which made the older format appear too crowded.

   >>  
The previous diagram is on the left (click to enlarge) and the new diagram is on the right (click to enlarge)





Ha-Melitz Added to the Historical Jewish Press Website
Posted on: 7 Nov 2010

A new title has been added to the Historical Jewish Press website: Ha-Melitz, the newspaper which served as the principal forum for Russian Jewry up to the beginning of the 20th century.

This is the sixteenth publication to be added to the website, and the seventh Hebrew-language newspaper in the collection. The electronic edition of Ha-Melitz contains 35,875 pages, currently (7.11.2010) making it the third largest paper on the website, after Davar and Ha-Zefira.

The period of Ha-Melitz’s publication coincided with that of other papers available on the website, including Ha-Levanon, Ha-Magid, Ha-Zefira, and Ha-Zvi. This overlap allows a number of areas of comparison: with regard to the attitudes of each newspaper, the various agendas of different regions, and the manner in which different publications covered identical events.

The format of Ha-Melitz underwent many changes over the years. Its frequency of publication increased (from weekly to biweekly to daily), and it became considerably more modern (it transitioned from the appearance of a periodical to that of a newspaper, and the portion allocated to advertisements expanded significantly over the years).

           
Differences in the paper’s appearance throughout the years: the front page from 1860, 1872, and 1904




Upcoming: Ma'ariv
Posted on: 3 Nov 2010

Work on Ma'ariv—one of the most important daily newspapers in Israel, both past and present—is progressing rapidly. Once launched on the website, this electronic version of Ma'ariv will constitute an invaluable and inexhaustible source for researchers, students of all ages, and the broader community.

Teams from both the National Library and Tel Aviv University are currently working diligently on the digitization of the initial decades of the paper: from its establishment in 1948 until the end of the 1960s, a period including some 80,000 printed pages.

These pages are now in an advanced stage of the digitization process and will be made available with the official launch of the paper on the website.











Contact Us Credits Terms of Use © All rights reserved English עברית Français