The Palestine Post|
Place of Publication: Jerusalem (Palestine / Eretz Israel)
Years of Publication: 1932-1950
Editor: Gershon Agron (Agronsky)
An English-language daily established in Jerusalem in 1932 as part of a Zionist-Jewish initiative.
In 1950 its name was changed to The Jerusalem Post and it continues to be published under that name
to this day. The newspaper’s intended audience was English readers in Palestine and nearby regions
-- British Mandate officials, local Jews and Arabs, Jewish readers abroad, tourists, and Christian
pilgrims. Zionist institutions considered the newspaper one of the most effective means of exerting
influence on the British authorities. The Post’s first issue had a 1,200-copy run, but during its
first year it achieved a daily circulation of close to 4,000 copies. Its circulation continued to
grow, reaching a peak of 50,000 in 1944. On February 1948 the building housing the Post’s editorial
offices in Jerusalem was bombed.
The Palestine Post provides a glimpse into some of the central events of the 20th century, including
World War II, the Holocaust, and the development of the post-war world order. The newspaper is a rich
source of information on Palestine during the British Mandate, the Zionist-Palestinian conflict, the
history of the Yishuv (Jewish settlement in Palestine), the creation of the State of Israel, and the
1948 War of Independence. At the same time, the newspaper includes a wealth of information on Jewish
communities throughout the world.
Enter The Palestine Post Newspaper
Enter The Palestine Bulletin Newspaper
Copy from a paper source in fair condition. Yellowed paper and outdated scanning technology
create a blurriness that is most prominent in pictures but is also present in the text.